The next generation Microsoft console, the ‘Xbox One” was revealed this week.
Here are the some of the highlights:
- The Xbox One is positioning itself as an all-in-one entertainment unit rather than just a console; the HDMI pass-through will allow South African users to plug their DSTV decoders into the xbox; the machine is powerful enough to allow users to instantly flip between games, tv, movies and browsing the internet
- While single player games will be able to be played without internet connection, many games will be constantly improved by an always-on connection that will provide the in game content
- Voice and hand gestures will be improved dramatically with the addition of the Kinect 2.0 with every console; you can even switch on the xbox with a voice command
- Xbox live will be run on 300 000 game servers, more computing power than existed on the planet in 1999; your current xbox live account will be transferred over to the new Xbox One, including all achievements and gamerscore
- Xbox 360 will not be able to be played on the new console
- Games will still be able to be resold on the 2nd hand market (http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-and-used-games/)
- Also, unrelated to the actual console, Steven Spielberg will be making a live action Halo TV series
While the console has been getting lots of flak from critics, I was very impressed with the overall direction of the technology. I will definitely purchase one when it releases at the end of the year.